4-year-old Child Playing With Lighter Results in Fatal Fire
by Sammy Edmonds
posted Feb 14 2014 3:41PM
A four-year-old child playing with a lighter in the middle of the night Sunday resulted in the tragic fire that killed a Kokomo woman.
Marion Fire Chief Paul David says the little boy was playing with a lighter in a bedroom at 537 East Sherman Street while others were sleeping, and lit a piece of fabric on fire. The boy then woke his father after the incident but the fire had spread rapidly.
Visitor 38-year-old Amy Pond died in the flames from smoke inhalation. The residing family of three and Pond’s 12-year-old son made it out safely. The home was a total loss.
The fire is being ruled accidental.
Chief David says the incident should have been prevented.
He says parents and guardians should be aware that a lighter can be as dangerous as a loaded weapon, and they should be kept away from children at all times.