Elderly Gas City Woman Dies in House Fire
by Sammy Edmonds
posted Jan 22 2014 3:23PM
Authorities in Gas City say an elderly woman died in an early morning house fire that they blame on faulty wiring.
Gas City Fire Chief David Linn said his crews were called to the home in the 300 block of East South “E” Street just after 4:30 this morning and immediately entered the house and found a woman lying in a hallway. Despite performing C-P-R, the woman died at the scene.
The victim has been identified as 87-year old Betty Murphy of Gas City, who was the only occupant of the home. Linn said she apparently died from smoke inhalation.
A preliminary investigation has determined that the fire started in an electrical short in a power strip located in the victim’s bedroom.
No other injuries were reported in the fire.